I work from many different locations including my home, several Microsoft offices, and airports or hotels on the road. In years past, I relied heavily on my mobile phone, racking up phone bills ranging from $100-300 per month depending on the amount of international calls, roaming, etc. It was certainly not an ideal solution but the best one I could find given the mobile nature of my job.
About 24 months ago, I transitioned from using my mobile phone to Microsoft Lync as my primary business phone number. This voice functionality and unified inbox has been a huge benefit not only for me, but also for the colleagues and customers I work with.
- Instead of a traditional phone, I’m able to use my laptop with a USB headset. I bring the headset with me and can make calls anywhere on the go, including my hotel room or the airport. This is especially handy when traveling internationally, as I save on all the typical charges of international phone calls. My family and customers just reach me on my normal phone number, without the hassle or extra cost of an international call.
- When I’m not online, I can forward my calls to a mobile phone or another number I choose.
- My colleagues can see my status and know when I am available, in a meeting or on the phone. This is updated automatically for me and is integrated with my Outlook calendar.
- I receive my voicemails in my inbox and with built-in speech-to-text, I can read/search them just like regular email. I can also play them on my laptop or by phone if I need privacy. Because it’s in my email, I can also forward voicemails to other colleagues if I need to relay the message.
- I can schedule conference calls and Live Meetings with only a couple clicks of a mouse and all inside of Outlook.
In addition, there are other benefits with WorkSpace Communications' Unified Communications that I consistently take advantage of:
- I’m able to have impromptu video calls with colleagues using my laptop’s built-in webcam.
- Through integrated presence in email, I’m able to chat with team members in context and easily add additional colleagues to the conversation if a group chat is required.
- With a single click, I can start a desktop sharing session if I need to collaborate on a spreadsheet or PowerPoint presentation.
- I can see the status of team members and know whether they are available, on the phone or in a meeting.
- Through federation, I’m able to chat with customers and collaborate much faster than I have been able to in the past with just email.
- I can save my conversations in Outlook and can quickly search and review what was discussed if I need to jog my memory.
With all the benefits of WorkSpace Communications' Unified Communications, it’s hard to imagine life without it. This technology has truly transformed the way I work and communicate.